When I made it to Ironman Kona in 2009, it was when they awarded a slot to the first Hawaii finisher in each age group category and I won my category that year. (Now, slots are awarded by lottery.) Ever since that personally eventful race, I’ve been doing pretty much everything I could to get back. At midnight in 2009, I could hear the cheering and announcements and see the lights at the finish line, but my race ended with only about a half mile to go out of the 140.6 miles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbRn1mRGpEM (if you want to relive that night with me)
My determination to cross that finish line hasn’t wavered! Here’s what I’ve done in qualifying races on my journey to return to Kona, with my placement in the F55-59 age group.
- 2009 Ironman Western Australia–3rd Place
- 2010 Ironman Hawaii 70.3–10th Place
- 2010 Ironman Cozumel–2nd Place
- 2011 Ironman Hawaii 70.3–7th Place (Honu PR 6:20)
- 2011 Ironman France–DNF (Cramping on the bike, language issues, 16 hour cut-off)
- 2012 Ironman Melbourne–2nd Place (Ironman PR 13:28)
- 2012 Ironman Hawaii 70.3–11th Place
- 2012 Kona Inspired–finalist
- 2013 Ironman New Zealand–10th Place
- 2013 Ironman 70.3–7th Place (Lottery Slot!!)
I am excited and honored to be able to return and do my best to finish this iconic event on October 12.
Thank you to everyone who’s been cheering for me and supporting me as my journey continues. Here we go!